Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Women of KDKA

Following up on my post from almost a month ago (I've been busy and I'm a procrastinator, what else can I say?) here are some of the reasons I love KDKA. We'll start with the women:

Brenda Waters – “Have a Positive Day.” That’s her signoff for her weekend reports. How many times have I watched a segment of hers and busted out crying?

Mary Robb Jackson – We won’t fault her for having started off at WPXI, now will we? Mary Robb more than made up for it when she used to do Weekend Magazine-I miss that show! Yet another breast cancer survivor who is a leading woman in Pittsburgh and continues to do her part to raise awareness about the issue. Honorary Chairperson of the Pink Ribbon Roundup this year which will benefit the Susan G. Komen foundation, http://www.pinkribbonroundup.org/friday.html

Alison (with one L) Morris – she’s a newbie having only been at KDKA for four years. Once a Wall Street reporter for CNBC, she got smart and moved to Pittsburgh. Perky, blonde, cute, marathon runner, ugh! The fact that she’s a huge hockey fan makes up for these last few faults. She’s got that rough, sultry voice that will have many a men tuning in.

Jennifer Antkowiak - Why, Jen? Why did you leave? I'm still hurt!!!!

Trina Orlando – the newest of the newbies. I wasn’t sure about her at first, but Im starting to like her. Another local girl from Westmoreland County who made her way back home. She’s covering her home beat as the Westmoreland County Bureau Chief now that Mary Berecky has left us. She’s not just another bit of fluff and I can see her being on KDKA for years to come.

Kristine Sorensen – one half of the KDKA sweethearts. She and Marty Griffin are married and have 2 little, mini reporters running around their house. Hope they are being groomed for a future at KDKA. She has those all-American girl next door looks but don’t be fooled! She’s as accomplished as they come. She’s now anchoring Pittsburgh Today but can also hold her own with Ken Rice when needed in the evening. She has such an open, honest smile, I can’t help but trust her.

Yvonne Zanos – she’s looking out for all of us with her consumer reports! I’ve been tempted to buy many TV infomercial items, but when Yvonne asks “Does it really do that?” and then tells me “NO!” I stay away. She’s not just trying to save us money, but looking out for our safety as well. I love, love, love, her segments.

Dr. Maria Simbra – if Yvonne is looking out for our safety, Dr. Maria is looking out for our health. It’s easy to see why Fred Honsberger is stalking her. She has looks that are unique but she’s not just window dressing. For goodness sakes! How many degrees and accomplishments does one woman need? Doctor (Neurologist with degrees in both biology and chemistry), reporter, teacher, wife, new mother, charity volunteer….Im tired just writing about her! It’s too bad she’s a neurologist because I want Dr. Maria as my family doctor!

And I’ve saved the best for last:

Patrice King Brown – My God! The woman hasn’t aged a day since she started in 1978. Did you get that??? 1978!!! Thirty one years ago! She looks younger than I do! We should all want to hate her for it, but she is so good and pure that you just can’t. Matching her ageless face is her timeless style. You could dress her in a dirty sack and with her poise I would want to dress like her. She’s Catwoman, Superwoman and Wonderwoman rolled all into one. She’s the most trusted newswoman in Pittsburgh. On at 4-6-and 11. I missed her terribly when she was off recovering from surgery on her Achilles tendon. Be careful, Patrice! She's not the only person in the biz from her family. Her brother, Dave, is the host and marketer of QVC. Brother, Brett, is the senior VP of the WB. With these connections and her talent, she could have gone anywhere, but NO!. She's a Pittsburgh girl and stayed right here where we need her the most. I want to be just like Patrice when I grow up.

Next up, and hopefully soon, I will post the Men of KDKA.

No comments: